phpBB Debug Notice

How to use these boards

phpBB Debug Notice

Postby Ankhani » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:04 pm

At the top of the main index and each thread there is a debug note:

[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /index.php on line 86: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /index.php on line 86: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.

In addition some posts (Ian's and dialnforninja, from what I see) are leaving a lot of blank space at the bottom, as if there's a lot more text. This seems to be something that is making the posts at least this long, as if the post contains a lot of text/large images, there is no blank space. Example Thread: Notice how posts with one line of text have a lot of blank space, where others have a small amount or none.
The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."
>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI
Ankhani

Re: phpBB Debug Notice

Postby Winston » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:41 pm

It seems caused by an upgrade of the php5 version. Not fatal but annoying and I am looking on how to fix it, short of modifying the code.
Winston
Site Admin

Postby Winston » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:51 pm

Die, you gravy-sucking son of a bitch! :evil:

PHP 5.4 is much more inclined to log errors or warnings than its predecessors. Unfortunately, much of the code used for phpBB and Gallery is orphaned, and they are all calling functions in archaic ways.

Brute force workaround with the php code.
Winston
Site Admin

Postby Ian » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:11 pm

Hee. Nice to see you're still on top of the game. :)
Ian
Site Admin

Postby Ian » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:43 am

I notice it's no longer auto-logging me in, even when I tell it to.
Ian
Site Admin

Postby Ian » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:48 am

Another minor detail: I can't edit the contents of the Racer files section in the gallery. I want to upload a few more vehicle stat sheets, and while it lets me view the contents, I can't edit, add or delete anything.
Ian
Site Admin

Postby Winston » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:20 pm

Ian wrote:Another minor detail: I can't edit the contents of the Racer files section in the gallery. I want to upload a few more vehicle stat sheets, and while it lets me view the contents, I can't edit, add or delete anything.

The gallery2 - phpBB integration package has been long unmaintained. I am not surprised it is broken. While I may try to fix it when I have a block of time, I suggest migrating links slowly to e.g. docs.google.com or a similar service.

The auto-login is a bug, no question. I might try upgrading the phpBB version to see if that fixes the problem, but again I will wait till probably the weekend so I can put together a back-out plan. As with anything, I am afraid of breaking things worse in the process of fixing them.
Winston
Site Admin

Postby Winston » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:11 pm

Ah, my work is done.
Winston
Site Admin

Postby Ian » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:32 pm

It defaults to Hello Kitty? Gah! :)

I take it the old Sci-Fi background is no longer available following the recent upgrade?
Ian
Site Admin

Postby Winston » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:37 pm

Ian wrote:It defaults to Hello Kitty? Gah! :)

I take it the old Sci-Fi background is no longer available following the recent upgrade?

No it doesn't. There are however a set of other styles available. But that is left as an exercise to the reader. MU-HA-HA!!!! :twisted:

The gallery 2 integration, as warned, is long broke. You can go to the gallery via http://gallery2.romanus.ca
Winston
Site Admin

Postby Winston » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:38 pm

Winston wrote:
Ian wrote:It defaults to Hello Kitty? Gah! :)

No it doesn't. There are however a set of other styles available. But that is left as an exercise to the reader. MU-HA-HA!!!! :twisted:

The gallery 2 integration, as warned, is long broke. You can go to the gallery via http://gallery.romanus.ca

And what's wrong with Hello Kitty? Does it not fit with "Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha"???
Winston
Site Admin

Postby Ian » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:16 pm

I prefer a style which occupies the whole screen, since I have to increase the font size. I also liked the subdued color scheme. Some of these others are too flashy for words. And the Hello Kitty look is just painfully saccharine. :)
Ian
Site Admin

Postby Ankhani » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:03 am

I'd prefer a My Little Pony over Hello Kitty, myself.

Huzzah for successful Migration though!
The Master said: "It is all in vain! I have never yet seen a man who can perceive his own faults and bring the charge home against himself."
>Analects: Book V, Chaper XXVI
Ankhani

Postby Ian » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:39 pm

I was having some issues getting past the login screen. If anyone else is having that problem, send me a message at my gmail account. (i.mcleod001@gmail.com), and I'll forward it to Winston.
Ian
Site Admin

Postby The StarWolf » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:22 pm

I was having a problem, but doing the get rid of cookies thing solved it.
Take time out to feed the sparrows. It beats going on stress therapy, is cheaper, and more fun besides. And the sparrows appreciate it, too.

The StarWolf

Next

Return to Administration & Users